Jessica Bernius is a lifelong resident of Amityville, having grown up on Avon Place and now residing in the house her grandmother built back in the 1930’s. She attended the Amityville schools, as did her three sons, Matthew, Paul and Glenn. Jessica is a retired teacher in South Huntington and the Amityville School District and adjunct assistant professor at Suffolk Community College.
Jessica was elected Trustee in 2013 and appointed Deputy Mayor. She is a ten-year member of the Amityville Village Planning Board. She has been actively involved in the Amityville community her whole life including:
Lifelong member of St Paul’s Lutheran Church on Park Avenue.
- Secretary of the Amityville Memorial High School Sports Hall of Fame.
- Ten- year member of the Amityville Village Planning Board.
- Member of the Bay Village Civic Association.
- Past den mother and den leader coach of Amityville Cub Scout Pack 2.
- Past Committee Member of Boy Scout Troop 84 and merit badge counselor for the BSA Suffolk County Council.
- Columnist in the Amityville Record for 10+ years. Her column, “The APA Pipelineâ€ informed the community of what was happening in the Amityville Schools.
- BS and MA degrees from Adelphi University.
Jessica is a retired teacher in South Huntington and the Amityville School Districts and adjunct assistant professor at Suffolk Community College.
Jessica is very aware and understands the needs and challenges of small business owners. Her late husband Matthew Bernius was a partner in the “The Phipps Pressâ€ printing company. Her late brother Bruce Thole began his own business, “East Coast Diesel Service,â€ now run by his son Derek Thole. Her son Glenn is a founding
partner of the consulting firm “Averill Fundraising Solutions.â€
Jessica brings experience in disaster relief services, having volunteered on multiple occasions at Camp Restore in New Orleans, La. There, she has worked on houses still devastated from Katrina. Three weeks before Sandy, she returned from mucking out houses devastated by Isaac, the August hurricane that hit St. Bernard’s Parish.