Quality of Life Job Description
- Patrols areas where meters are located to prevent and detect violations of local ordinances governing parking and deposit of fees;
- Writes and distributes summonses for overtime violation at parking meters;
- Writes summonses for violations of ordinances governing use of handicapped parking spaces and no-parking zones;
- Receives and investigates complaints about violations of local ordinances;
- Issues and serves summonses if violations are not corrected;
- Prepares reports on inspections conducted and recommends actions to correct violations;
- Reviews records to establish ownership of property and to determine if permits and licenses required by local ordinances have been obtained;
- Maintains records of code violations and corrective action taken;
- Answers inquiries from the public concerning local ordinances;
- Prepares written reports and recommendations concerning local ordinances;
- May prepare information for the courts regarding violations;
- May appear as a witness in District court and/or other courts.
Qualified candidates must have:
- Good knowledge of local ordinances governing parking and parking meters;
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions;
- Ability to deal with the general public in a courteous and tactful manner;
- Thorough knowledge of the local procedures for the enforcement of local ordinances;
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws, ordinances and regulations concerning public order and safety;
- Good knowledge of effective investigatory techniques;
- Ability to keep records and to prepare written reports;
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; and
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A valid, clean driver’s license is required. Hours: 20 hours per week with flexibility to work some evening hours. One Saturday required per month.
Starting salary: Commensurate with experience. Certification needed: Applicant must be able to obtain certification as a Building Safety Inspector within 18 months of appointment date to the position.
Resumes should be sent to Deirdre L. Parker, Deputy Village Clerk at email@example.com