Village of Amityville, New York

  • Summer at Amityville Beach

  • Scenes of Winter in Amityville

  • Green Spaces in Amityville

Frequently Asked Questions


Board of Trustees  | Receiver of Taxes | Registrar| Clerk| Public Works| Police Dept.| Building Department| Assessor


Board of Trustees

Q. When does the Board of Trustees meet?
A. Generally, they meet the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month at 7:30 PM in the Village Court Room  at  21  Ireland  Place, 3rd  floor. Check the Village calendar at for meeting dates or contact Village Hall (631) 264-6000.

Q. What are the terms of office for the elected officials?
A. The Mayor, Trustees (four) and Village Justice all have a term of office of four years. Two trustees, the Mayor and the Justice are elected at the same time. The other two trustees are elected two years after the Mayoral election.

Q. Why is the American Flag flown lower than the other flags at Nautical Park on Merrick Road?
A.  According to long-standing maritime tradition, the gaff is the position of honor on a ship and thus is where the U.S. Flag should be flown. Yachting organizations and nautical parks, following nautical tradition, erect land-based, gaff-rigged flagpoles and fly the U.S. Flag at the gaff as well: The gaff is considered to be the position of honor. This arrangement is used by several municipalities with parks located by the water, including the Village of Southampton. Click here for more information as provided by the U.S. Power Squadron.

Back to the Top

Receiver of Taxes
Q. How and when are the Village Taxes to be paid?
A. The Village taxes are for the fiscal period of June 1 through May 31. The tax bill  is mailed out at the end of May,  and contains two parts – one for the first half and one for the second half. The first half of the taxes are due June 1st, but are payable without penalty until the beginning of July (check your tax bill for the exact dates). The second half is due December 1st, but payable without penalty until the beginning of January.   Taxes can be paid in person or by mail, either by check, cash or money order. We do not accept credit cards at this time.

Q. What are the penalties for late payment?
A. There is a 5% penalty added to bills not paid after the due date and an additional 1% per month penalty thereafter.

Q.  Why can’t the Board of Trustees waive the late payment penalty?
A.   Interest and penalties are imposed by New York State law.   Therefore the Board of Trustees does not have authority to waive such interest and penalties.

Q. I just paid off my mortgage. What do I do about paying property taxes?
A. Contact the Tax Receiver at (631) 264-6000 and inform them where you would like your tax bills sent to. A request should also be made for a copy of the current tax bill to determine if and when taxes are due. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to pay the taxes, whether or not they have received a bill.

Back to the Top

Q. How can I obtain a certified copy of my Birth Certificate?
A. If you were born in the Village of Amityville,   you can either come in to Village Hall and fill out the application or download the application form, complete it and mail it to Village Hall (see below). If you do not have Photo ID, please provide copies of recent bills, such as utility bills, or school IDs. If you are mailing the request, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope as well as a phone number where we can reach you if we have questions. To download an Application for a Birth Certificate, click here. The cost is $10.00 per certificate: cash or money order only! No personal checks will be accepted.

Mail it to:

Village of Amityville : Attention- Registrar
21  Ireland  Place
Amityville, NY 11701

Q. How can I expedite the process of obtaining a Birth Certificate?
A. If you mail your request via an express mail service and include a prepaid return express mail envelope, we will be able to expedite your request. The process will still take three to five days, if you include the time in transit and it does not involve a weekend. We cannot process faxed requests without payment. If you have questions, please contact the Registrar at (631)264-6000. If you come in to Village Hall, we can generally process your request within an hour.

Q. What is the cost of the Birth Certificate?
A. There is a $10.00 fee per copy which is payable in cash or money order. We do not accept personal checks or credit cards.

Q. Who can obtain a copy of my birth certificate?
A. Only you, your parents or legal guardian may obtain your birth certificate. Spouses, siblings and children cannot obtain a copy unless there is legal reason and proof to do so.  Please contact the Registrar if you have questions at (631) 264-6000.

Q. Who can obtain a copy of a death certificate and how can they do so?
A. Parents,  spouse  and children of the deceased may request a copy of a death certificate. Anyone other than these must provide supporting documentation establishing a legal right or claim to obtain a certified copy. The applicant must provide the decedent’s name and date of death and include a fee of $10.00, payable with cash or money order. If you are mailing the request, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope as well as a phone number where we can reach you if we have questions.   To download an Application for a Death Certificate, click here. Mail it to:
              Village of Amityville : Attention- Registrar
              21  Ireland  Place
              Amityville, NY 11701

Back to the Top

Village Clerk
Q. How do I get a permit to park  at  the Long Island Railroad Parking Lot?
A. LIRR parking permits are annual permits which are valid from February 1 – January 31. The annual cost is $30 for Village residents and $150 for non-residents. Applications are available at Village Hall or click on the  following:  Resident  LIRR  Permit  Application  or Non-Resident LIRR Permit Application to download an application. Village Hall hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. The vehicle registration must be presented with the application. The address on the vehicle registration must be within the Village in order to qualify for the  resident rate. If the vehicle registration does not show the Amityville resident address, then two current proofs of residency must be provided. Acceptable documents are utility bills sent to the address or a driver’s license.

Q.   How do I rent the Amityville Beach Pavilion?
A.   The Amityville Beach Pavilion may be rented by Village residents. The application can be obtained at Village Hall or click here to download a copy of the Beach Pavilion Application. Applications are not accepted prior to April 1st (or the first business day therafter).

Q. How do I obtain a Disabled Person Parking Permit?
There are two types of Disabled Parking Permits available to Amityville Residents – Permanent and Temporary. Both can be applied for initially by filling out the DMV 644.1 application – click here for a .pdf version of the Application for Parking Permits for Persons with Severe Disabilities.   When applying for the first time, your doctor must fill out the medical certification portion of the form. On the form the physician will indicate if it is a permanent disability or temporary. If temporary, they will indicate the time period that the permit will be valid for. This form is then returned to Village Hall where a permit will be issued.
Renewals: Permanent parking permits are renewable every four years. Renewals are done with the same application. The first permanent renewal does not require medical certification, however the second renewal does require medical certification. For temporary permits, if the permit has expired, the application must be resubmitted with medical certification.

Q. How can I get my group’s event listed on the Community Calendar?
A. Click on the “Interactive Request” link on the left-hand side of the screen. Select the option for “Citizen Action Line”, then “Other” and then “Community Calendar Event”. Fill in the form completely, including any details or website links. If you would like email notification that the event has been listed, please enter your email address as well. The Village reserves the right to select those events that will either occur within the Village or are open to Village of Amityville Residents.

Q. How do I purchase a memorial tree or bench?
A. Applications to purchase a memorial tree or bench are available at Village Hall or on-line. For more information, call (631) 691-5569.

Q. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
A. Yes. The Garage Sale Permit Application can be downloaded here or from Village Hall. The fee is $10.00. You are permitted to have two garage sales per calendar year per dwelling. Garage Sale Application

Q. What programs are available at the Amityville Senior Center?
A. The Senior Center, located at the old Park Avenue School on Park Avenue and Ireland Place holds various activities, including get-togethers, scrabble tournaments, bridge, canasta, guest topic speakers, occasional out-of-town trips and day outings. For more information call (631) 264-5353.

Back to the Top

Department of Public Works
Who is responsible for trash and recycling pickups in the Village.

A. The Town of Babylon is responsible for trash pickup through the company Encon (631-491-3200). They can be called to also schedule pickup of “white goods”, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves and other household appliances. For a copy of the Recycling Calendar, click here.

Q. What containers should I use for my recycling goods?
A. Recycling materials, which include glass jars and bottles, aluminum and metal cans, should be place in the blue recycling cans or clear plastic bags. Newspapers, phone books, magazines and cardboard boxes should be wrapped in twine or put in paper bags. Do not use plastic bags for holding newspapers and do not use your recycling can. The blue recycling cans can be picked up in the Town Council Office at Babylon Town Hall located at 200 East Sunrise Highway, Lindenhurst during regular business hours (Monday – Friday 9:00 – 4:30). Visit the Town of Babylon’s website for more information. Pizza and cereal boxes are not recyclable. Please dispose of these in your normal household garbage.

Q. How do I dispose of paint?
A. Latex (water and oil based) paint can be disposed of in your regular garbage. Open the can to let the paint dry and put it in a securely tied plastic bag.

Q. Where can I dispose of oil from my car?
A. You can dispose of waste oil at the Residential Recycling Center, located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon. It is open for drop-off of recyclable materials on weekdays from 8 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. For further information, call 631-249-9346 ro 631-422-7694.

Back to the Top

Police Department
Q. What do I do if I have an accident?
A. The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles has an excellent website for information on what to do in case of a traffic accident. Please click on this link for  NYS DMV Frequently Asked Questions.

Q. Can I park my car overnight on the street in the Village of Amityville?
A. No. Parking on Village streets from 3 AM to 6 AM is illegal.However, if the resident can demonstrate a need for on-street parking, three permissions a year per residence will be granted by calling the Police (631-264-0400) before 3 AM on the date requested. Permission may be granted for, but  not limited to: visiting guest, dumpsters in the driveway, disabled motor vehicles, driveway work, etc. If more than three permissions a year are needed, or an extended period of time is required, permission from the Village Board must be requested. The  Village Board may, at its discretion, issue an overnight parking permit on a case by case basis.  OVERNIGHT PERMISSION WILL NOT BE GRANTED DURING SNOW EMERGENCIES.

Q. Will the Police Department  take  fingerprints  of me for a job application?
A. Yes. The Police Department routinely fingerprints residents for free. Non-residents are charged $10.00 per card. Please call (631-264-0400) to make an appointment as we cannot fingerprint when  prisoners are present. Please make sure the fingerprint card is properly filled out and signed  and  remember  to  bring  photo  ID. WE DO NOT FINGERPRINT FOR THE I.N.S.!  We are not an authorized I.N.S. fingerprint station. Please contact the I.N.S. as to where to be fingerprinted.

Q. I was involved in a traffic accident in the Village of Amityville. How do I obtain a copy of the accident report?
A. A copy of the accident report is available any day, 24 hours, at the Police Department desk at Village Hall,  21 Ireland Place.

Q. Does the Police Department give tours of the Station for community organizations?
A. Yes! We are more than happy to give a tour for your scout group, school or other organization. Please call in advance to schedule a date and time.

Q. How can I become an Amityville Police Officer?
A.  You  must take  the  Suffolk  County  Civil  Service  Test  for  a  Police  Officer  and  be  a  resident of  the  Village  of  Amityville.

 Back to the Top

Building Department
Q. What forms do you accept as Proof of Coverage for Workman’s Compensation and Disability?
A. For Workman’s Compensation, we accept: C-105.21, C-105.2, U-26.3, SI-12, GSI-12. For Disability Insurance: C105.21, DB-120.1, DB-155.   No ACCORD forms will be accepted.

Q. Do I need a permit to put up a fence?
A.   If the fence is four feet tall or less, you need a fence permit. You can download one by clicking on this link Application for Fence Permit. The fee is $50.00 and will generally require additional information. Contact the Building Department for details at (631) 691-1909. If the fence is higher than four feet, it will require Board of Appeals approval. To request more information on the Board of Appeals, please call Village Hall at (631) 264-6000.

Q. What other property changes do I require a permit for?
As per Village Code, you are required to obtain a permit for all of the following: Building (alterations to  an existing  structure or new construction), Accessory Buildings (sheds, boat houses, etc.), Bulkhead or Docks (alterations or construction), Demolition, Signs, Swimming Pools (both above and in-ground), Plumbing (additional fixtures, new fixtures, including gas appliances). It is recommended that you complete a Building Department Information Request form with a complete description of your project and the Building Inspector will advise you on what permits are necessary and how you should proceed.

Q. How long does it take code enforcement to handle complaints about compliance regarding high grass and garbage/debris accumulation?
These types of complaints are difficult for code enforcement to obtain compliance and frustrating for the complainants waiting for compliance. The system works like this:   A.   A complaint is lodged against a particular property. Code enforcement investigates and sustains the complaint (usually  5 to  7 working days).   B.  Code enforcement sends a notice of violation via certified mail/return receipt to the violator (usually 3 to 5 working days).   C.   Code enforcement waits for verification via the post office that the notice was received by the violator (usually two (2) weeks).   D.  After verification is received, then seven (7) working days later if the violation has not been complied, Amityville Department of Public Works is ordered to clean the property (usually 5 to 7 working days later).  Should the verification of receipt of the notice of violation not be received, the property must then be posted by a licensed process server. Then seven (7) working days later the Amityville Department of Public Works can be ordered to clean the property. Therefore, should the violator not clean his/her property immediately after receiving the notice of violation, compliance could and usually does take about four (4) to six (6) weeks at best.  Please note that due process of law must be followed for each separate event, even if the property has been previously served/posted with a violation.

Back to the Top

Q. How do I obtain a copy of my deed?
A. You can obtain a certified copy of your deed by mailing a request to the Suffolk County Clerk’s Office, 310 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901   attn: Public Access. Please include the Liber and Page numbers OR a copy of the tax bill showing the tax map number for the property in question. Additionally, you will need to enclose a check or money order for $5.00 payable to the Suffolk County Clerk.

   Back to the Top


Village of Amityville, New York